Sunday 27 July 2014

Round 1 | Battle Of The Primers


Overtime, I've accumulated a few primers, though it's an item I've never really felt much need to use. That was until this summer and how face-meltingly hot it's been. I've posted about a couple of these primers before (I've even posted a review on one of them), but this is to decide which I feel comes out on top.


This weeks battle: Maybelline vs… Maybelline! (Well, this is awkward).


[Before I begin I would like to mention that my opinions are my own and this is just my experience with the product. What didn't work for me might work for you and vice versa.]


This might be a far stretch, but take your mind back to February and you'll remember me adding this to the stash…


Maybelline - Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser (£7.99)




Claims: "A lightweight primer that will create a smooth and poreless looking skin."

This primer was talked about so much when it first came out. Claims like 'it's a Benefit dupe' were thrown about. I thought 'great, I can't afford Benefit, this claims I'll be looking awesome even without foundation. I'll buy it.'

Frankly, I regret getting this. I'll be using it up, but I doubt very much I'll be buying another. On first appearances it really looks like a great primer. You don't need much, it does actually make pores look smaller (or on me, I found). The real problem is that if you've got a pretty busy day and no time to touch up you makeup, this isn't that good. Instead of holding my makeup to my face, I often found my makeup smudging or 'collecting' on my face. This is especially an issue around the nose and just generally in the T-zone area. If I could, I would very much like to take back the 'thumbs up' from my review of it.

Pros: Makes pores smaller, very small amount needed and easy to understand/apply, very fun packaging.

Cons: Very gelatinous (I'm not a fan of the gel feeling), if you get even the tinniest too much, your face will feel very greasy, doesn't hold well in heat, doesn't do great without touchups.

Rating: 5/10


Maybelline - Dream Smooth Primer (£8.99)



Claims: "Apply before foundation or wear alone to create a perfectly smooth canvas."

Again, this is another Maybelline primer (I promise, it's the only other one I have). I picked this up in a Boots clearance sale (for £2) as it was being taken off of the sales plan.

Honestly speaking, I was quite shocked seeing the original price. If I'd had to pay that much for a primer I didn't even know I liked, I wouldn't have even taken it to the checkout. £9 is a lot and with that in mind, you would have the expect great things. Sure, it's not as expensive as some of the more upmarket brands, but it's still a fair bit of money. There isn't, however, that much difference between the price of this and the Baby Skin primer, and I really don't think that £1 is going to improve the quality all that much.

This primer, as opposed to the other one is in a pot rather than a tube. This in itself has it's own pros and cons. The fact that it is in a pot allows you to 'pick up' however much you would like. At the same time it's very easy to apply too much. Because, again, it's a gel, this isn't overly pleasant. So a warning to you all, use sparingly.

I feel like I am repeating myself as this also can feel quite greasy. Although I don't regret getting this primer, I can't say I'm thrilled with it either. It certainly works (fractionally) better than the other one, but at the same time it just doesn't do it for me. So I'll summarise the pros and cons for you instead:


Pros: Makes skin very smooth, works better, very small amount needed, easy to understand/apply, mature styled packaging.

Cons: Again, very gelatinous, if you get even the tinniest too much, your face will feel very greasy. Other things to note: More expensive and if you're not a fan of it being in a pot, this isn't for you, easy to 'pick up' too much.

Rating: 5.5/10




So the winner, in my opinion is the 'Dream Smooth Primer'. Frankly, I don't want either primer again and I feel generous giving them the scores I did. But there has to be a winner, so Dream Smooth wins very minutely (mostly because it works better). So congrats, I guess, Dream Smooth. You get to battle against the next primer in my makeup draw (lucky you).


I've dubbed this as round one because I'm sure I can find many, many, many things to compare with each other (I already have more primers to try). Let me know in the comments below what you would like to see 'battle it out' and bring on round two *ding, ding, ding*.


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment